Nike releases very purple Phoenix Suns’ City Edition uniforms
Nike revealed 28 of the NBA’s 30 City Edition alternate uniforms for the 2017-18 season, and the Phoenix Suns’ look is one thing: Purple.
With two shades of purple to go with white lettering and numbering, the jerseys were inspired by the Phoenix constellation and the sun itself. To pay homage to the Hispanic communities in the Valley, the front logo reads “Los Suns” and a smaller message reads “Somos PHX” above the jersey tag.
The Suns will debut the look Jan. 26 against the New York Knicks for Latin Night and will wear them four other teams this season.
The reveal on Wednesday confirms the prematurely leaked images of the jerseys by the NBA 2K18 video game, though the letter font appears to have taken on a more angled look compared to those from the leak.
Nike said that the teams will receive new City Edition Uniforms for each season.
Other jerseys across the league represent their locales and historic figures in their franchise histories.
The Los Angeles Lakers’ black jersey nods to recently-retired Kobe Bryant, while the Boston Celtics’ jerseys tips the cap to the parquet floor and coaching great Red Auerbach.
The Golden State Warriors’ jerseys read “The Bay” and pay tribute to the Chinese community and the Golden Gate Bridge.
Here is a look at all the jerseys:
- ‘Headband Book’ makes rare appearance for Suns in Booker’s return
- Can the Suns keep up their defensive success with Devin Booker’s return?
- Mavericks reportedly looking to trade PG Smith; Suns not interested
- Devin Booker pledges to donate $2.5 million to Suns Charities
- It’s not OK: Luka Doncic might be an All-Star and the Suns passed on him