Freshman Blumbergs leads Grand Canyon to victory
PHOENIX — Freshman Roberts Blumbergs came off the bench to score a career-high 25 points, Joshua Braun scored 20 and Grand Canyon cruised to an 84-71 victory over UT Rio Grande Valley on Saturday night.
Blumbergs, who came into the game averaging 5.3 points and 2.9 rebounds, hit 6 of 11 shots with two 3-pointers and 11 of 13 free throws for the Antelopes (12-6, 2-1 Western Athletic Conference).
He added eight rebounds. Braun hit three 3-pointers and was 7 of 8 from the foul line. Keonta Vernon chipped in with 13 points and 15 rebounds to help the Antelopes control the boards 45-31.
It was his second straight double-double and third of the season.
Nick Dixon tossed in 28 points for the Vaqueros (10-9, 2-1), doing most of his damage at the free-throw line where he made 18 of 21.
Rio Grande Valley shot just 33 percent from the floor, including 27 percent from 3-point range, but did make 29 of its 36 free throws (81 percent).
Casey Benson added 10 points for Grand Canyon, which shot 45.5 percent from the floor and hit 7 of 21 from distance. The Antelopes knocked down 27 of 34 from the foul line (79 percent).
- Josh Jackson’s rookie season full of ups, downs for Phoenix Suns
- “I’m done with not making the playoffs”: Devin Booker looking for future success with team
- LeBron James makes it known he’s king of New York in return to MSG
- Phoenix Suns experience stigma of being bad NBA team
- Phoenix Suns rookie Josh Jackson figuring it out in 2018