Northern Arizona comes up short as Idaho hangs on to win
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Brayon Blake scored 25 points and grabbed nine rebounds as Idaho held on to beat Northern Arizona 84-80 on Saturday night.
Blake was 8 of 15 from the field and 7 of 8 from the line for the Vandals (13-6, 5-2 Big Sky) who have won three straight. Victor Sanders added 21 points, Perrion Callandret had 15 points, eight rebounds and five assists and Jordan Scott chipped in 11 points.
Blake, Scott and Nate Sherwood drained 3-pointers and Callandret made back-to-back dunks in a 20-7 start for Idaho. Northern Arizona answered with a 17-2 run to take a 24-22 edge with 6:23 in the half and the Lumberjacks (3-17, 0-7) led 36-32 at intermission.
A Blake 3-pointer followed by a Sanders layup early in the second half put the Vandals back on top for good, 54-53, with 12:50 left. Northern Arizona got as close as 77-74 with 39 seconds to go but could not get closer.
Torry Johnson scored 25 points for the Lumberjacks who are on a seven-game skid.
- NAU football hires former ASU assistant Chris Ball as new head coach
- ASU basketball game against San Francisco postponed
- Arizona State basketball to play in 2019 Pac-12 China game
- Dort’s record performance leads ASU basketball past Cal State Fullerton
- Don’t sweat it? Actually, Northern Arizona Suns say, ‘Please do’