Vernon leads Lopes to big victory over Kangaroos
PHOENIX — Keonta Vernon had 18 points and Oscar Frayer pulled down a career-high 13 rebounds as Grand Canyon raced past UMKC 79-62 on Thursday night, giving GCU its fifth win in the last six games.
The teams traded 7-0 runs early, and there were six ties to go along with five lead changes in the first half. Casey Benson scored six of his 14 for the Lopes (16-7, 5-2 Western Athletic) in the midst of a 10-0 run to put them up 12 as time wound down before the break.
The Kangaroos (6-18, 1-6) never got closer than 10 from that point on, as the final 17-point margin matched GCU’s largest lead of the night. UMKC has lost four straight.
GCU controlled the boards for most of the evening, outrebounding UMKC 45-24, including a 13-6 margin on the offensive boards.
Broderick Robinson led the Kangaroos with 16 points and Brandon McKissic added 15.
- Suns dip into in-state pool again by selecting Arizona’s Deandre Ayton
- Arizona talent ‘bursts back on the scene’ with strong MLB draft
- ASU, Arizona, GCU and high schools represent state in 2018 MLB Draft
- Arizona Cardinals, ASU honor Pat Tillman’s legacy on Memorial Day
- Grand Canyon will face Nevada in inaugural Jerry Colangelo classic