Everybody knows of Arizona Cardinals wide recevier Larry Fitzgerald’s talents on the football field.
Fitzgerald owns just about every receiving record in franchise history and is the youngest player in NFL history to reach the 700-catch mark
During the Cardinals’ run to the Super Bowl in 2008, Fitzgerald scored seven touchdowns to go along with 546 receiving yards, setting playoff records in both categories.
What some people may not know is the kind of person the Arizona wideout is off the football field.
Fitzgerald works with several charities around the world, and one of those charities is the Starkey Foundation.
The Starkey Foundation is a non-profit organization that assists those who are hearing-impaired and lack the resources to acquire hearing aids.
Bill Austin started the program with his wife in 1984 and Fitzgerald is one of the bigger supporters of the charity among athletes.
“You get a chance to talk with him, and you see the impact he’s having on humanity. You want to be a part of it,” Fitzgerald said.
Fitzgerald has been on seven missions since 2009, but a recent trip to Mexico truly opened up his eyes when he personally fit a child with his hearing aid, then turned it on.
“His family saw it, and they got so emotional,” Fitzgerald said. “I lost it. They lost it. It was one of those moments, you know, where you see somebody’s life change. Not just his, but his family’s and how they all communicate.
Character Counts Finalist
- Horizon's Kody Huff more than a rising baseball star
- Campo Verde's Kanani Hiapo thrives on volleyball court, in the classroom
- Raymond S. Kellis sophomore Chase Weaver balances leadership roles in sports, church
- Westwood's Brianna Anderson makes big differences with little actions
- Marcos de Niza kicker Krysten Muir using football success to build up others
- Arcadia High School's Grant Loftin leads in lacrosse and beyond
- Williams Field High School junior Lindsay O'Driscoll finds time to help others
- Scottsdale Christian's Christina Clark has dreams, reality of helping others
- Golf, piloting and helping others are Brody Burnell's passions
- Teddy bear drive, speeches help Emery Miller inspire children to overcome adversity