If you have a young son who plays baseball, you want him to play for a coach like this.
On Monday night, Cumberland, Rhode Island was eliminated from the 2014 Little League World Series in a heartbreaking 8-7 loss to Illinois.
Following the loss, with many of his players in tears, Rhode Island coach Dave Belisle delivered a two-minute on-field address to his team as moving as any that USA hockey coach Herb Brooks or Hickory basketball coach Norman Dale ever gave.
Rhode Island was one of the last eight American teams standing in this year’s LLWS. Belisle did an amazing job of reminding his despondent group how meaningful that was, and of how much they all meant to him.
- Horizon's Kody Huff more than a rising baseball star
- Campo Verde's Kanani Hiapo thrives on volleyball court, in the classroom
- Raymond S. Kellis sophomore Chase Weaver balances leadership roles in sports, church
- Westwood's Brianna Anderson makes big differences with little actions
- Marcos de Niza kicker Krysten Muir using football success to build up others
- Arcadia High School's Grant Loftin leads in lacrosse and beyond
- Williams Field High School junior Lindsay O'Driscoll finds time to help others
- Scottsdale Christian's Christina Clark has dreams, reality of helping others
- Golf, piloting and helping others are Brody Burnell's passions
- Teddy bear drive, speeches help Emery Miller inspire children to overcome adversity