Tragedy struck Tuesday when a Canadian soldier was killed after a gunman opened fire in and around Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario.
As a result, the National Hockey League postponed the game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Ottawa Senators Tuesday night.
Other games around the league took place as scheduled, including the in-state rivalry between the Philadelphia Flyers and the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Consol Energy Center.
Penguins anthem singer Jeff Jimerson led the crowd in the singing of “O, Canada” as a show of support for the grieving nation to the north.
- Horizon's Kody Huff more than a rising baseball star
- Campo Verde's Kanani Hiapo thrives on volleyball court, in the classroom
- Raymond S. Kellis sophomore Chase Weaver balances leadership roles in sports, church
- Westwood's Brianna Anderson makes big differences with little actions
- Marcos de Niza kicker Krysten Muir using football success to build up others
- Arcadia High School's Grant Loftin leads in lacrosse and beyond
- Williams Field High School junior Lindsay O'Driscoll finds time to help others
- Scottsdale Christian's Christina Clark has dreams, reality of helping others
- Golf, piloting and helping others are Brody Burnell's passions
- Teddy bear drive, speeches help Emery Miller inspire children to overcome adversity