Lever scores 30, Grand Canyon beats Seattle to end 3-game skid
PHOENIX — Alessandro Lever scored 30 points with 10 rebounds and hit 14-of-15 free throws and Grand Canyon beat Seattle 76-64 on Thursday night to end a three-game skid and sweep the season series against the Redhawks.
Joshua Braun added 10 points for the Antelopes (18-10, 7-5), who entered the game fourth in Western Athletic Conference standings.
Matej Kavas scored 17 points with three 3-pointers, Richaud Gittens added 15 points with three 3s, and Jordan Hill had 12 points with four assists for Seattle (19-10, 8-4), which entered the game in second.
The Antelopes scored 22 points off of 16 Seattle turnovers and made 19-of-21 free throws.
Hill’s 3-pointer put Seattle up 49-48, but Lever scored a go-ahead free throw amid a 13-2 run and the Antelopes led 61-51 with 4:22 to play. Seattle closed to 65-59 on Hill’s 3, but Gerard Martin scored five straight for a 70-59 lead and GCU outscored Seattle 6-5 in the final 1:37.
Grand Canyon led 35-26 at halftime behind Lever’s 12 points after holding the Redhawks to 34.5 percent shooting from the field.
- ASU, Arizona, GCU and high schools represent state in 2018 MLB Draft
- NCAA officials arrive in Phoenix looking at bid for possible Final Four
- Arizona Cardinals, ASU honor Pat Tillman’s legacy on Memorial Day
- ASU softball brings one-two pitching punch to super regional
- Is this the year both ASU, Arizona miss out on baseball postseason?