Cardinals’ David Johnson runs drills with UFC champion Tyron Woodley
The Arizona Cardinals are looking for versatile athletes to fill out the roster.
Running back David Johnson is taking an unusual recruiting route, inviting UFC Welterweight Champion Tyron Woodley to the Cardinals’ training facility for a workout.
Donning a No. 1 jersey with the name “Chosen” on the back – Woodley’s UFC nickname is “The Chosen One” – T-Wood performed drills in a video tweeted out by the Cardinals on Thursday.
— Arizona Cardinals (@AZCardinals) April 13, 2018
He worked on his footwork, ball security and catching skills.
Woodley even ran a sprint against Johnson.
The Cardinals’ running back tripped at the starting line, and Woodley took a large lead to begin the race. However, like The Freeze of the Atlanta Braves, Johnson quickly accelerated. Both laughed as he overtook Woodley.
“Props to my man David Johnson,” the UFC star said near the end of the video. “He got a fan in me.”
- David Johnson, Josh Rosen highlight ESPN’s NFL 2021 predictions
- USA Today: Cardinals not expected to contend for playoffs in 2018-19
- Arizona Cardinals rank No. 41 in Forbes’ 2018 most valuable franchises
- Keim’s absence comes as Cardinals talk complicated Johnson extension
- Cardinals suspend GM Steve Keim for five weeks after he pleads guilty to DUI