Schefter: Cleveland Browns take Bacon Mayfield No. 1 overall
Breaking! The Cleveland Browns have selected Oklahoma Sooners quarterback Bacon Mayfield with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.
Mayfield sizzled this past season, throwing for for 4,627 yards, 43 touchdowns and just six interceptions as a senior.
His crisp passing ability was admired by some scouts, while others were surprised that his thin cut at 6-foot-1 and 220 pounds could leap him ahead of fellow signal-callers Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen.
Mayfield comes with some unwanted fat — off-the-field and on-the-field behavioral problems led some to question whether he was mature enough to slice his way to the top of teams’ draft boards. Others believed in the quarterback, who has pigskin in his blood.
If Adam Schefter is gonna call him Bacon Mayfield, I gotta get video pic.twitter.com/YohVQQxU1S
— CJ Fogler (@cjzero) April 27, 2018
- The 5: Most recent QBs selected No. 1 overall in the NFL Draft
- ESPN’s Schefter suggests Cardinals could draft QB Murray, trade Rosen
- Does Cardinals coaching candidate Gase like QB Rosen or not?
- Draft analyst says Cardinals’ Josh Rosen in worst spot of young QBs
- Cardinals’ Josh Rosen part of historic, perfect week for rookie quarterbacks