Tucson Roadrunners advance to second round of AHL playoffs
The Tucson Roadrunners, the Arizona Coyotes’ minor league affiliate, advanced to the next round of the AHL playoffs Friday night.
The Roadrunners beat the San Jose Barracuda 3-0 in game four of the series to win the series 3-1.
Conor Garland and Mario Kempe were the goal scorers for Tucson.
The second round trims the playoff field from 16 teams to eight, with series transitioning from a best-of-five format to a best-of-seven format.
The Roadrunners will move on to face the Texas Stars, the minor league affiliate for the Dallas Stars.
That is the final round of division play, as four teams from each of the four AHL divisions qualify for the playoffs. The Roadrunners were the No. 1 seed to come out of the Pacific division and the Stars were the second seed.
With a series win over Texas, Tucson would go on to face the last remaining team from the Central division and then the winner between the Atlantic and North divisions.
- Coyotes sign 98.7 FM broadcast team to multi-year contracts
- Arizona Coyotes officially agree to terms with four players
- Coyotes use cap space to acquire Hinostroza, Hossa contract via ‘Hawks
- Coyotes acquire Hinostroza in multi-piece trade with Blackhawks
- Coyotes’ Ekman-Larsson donates $125K to Boys and Girls Club