Tucson Roadrunners advance to second round of AHL playoffs
The Tucson Roadrunners, the Arizona Coyotes’ minor league affiliate, advanced to the next round of the AHL playoffs Friday night.
The Roadrunners beat the San Jose Barracuda 3-0 in game four of the series to win the series 3-1.
Conor Garland and Mario Kempe were the goal scorers for Tucson.
The second round trims the playoff field from 16 teams to eight, with series transitioning from a best-of-five format to a best-of-seven format.
The Roadrunners will move on to face the Texas Stars, the minor league affiliate for the Dallas Stars.
That is the final round of division play, as four teams from each of the four AHL divisions qualify for the playoffs. The Roadrunners were the No. 1 seed to come out of the Pacific division and the Stars were the second seed.
With a series win over Texas, Tucson would go on to face the last remaining team from the Central division and then the winner between the Atlantic and North divisions.
- Coyotes’ Alex Galchenyuk to miss Tuesday’s game, Kuemper starts
- Arizona Coyotes sign 2017 draft pick Nathan Schnarr to entry-level deal
- Chayka, other Coyotes connections make Athletic’s ‘Top 40 under 40’
- Arizona Coyotes starting goalie Antti Raanta out indefinitely
- Arizona Coyotes’ 2nd straight loss wasn’t for lack of effort vs. Sharks