D-backs recall Braden Shipley, option Kris Medlen to Reno
The Arizona Diamondbacks have recalled right-handed pitcher Braden Shipley from the Triple-A Reno Aces, the team announced Saturday.
With Shipley making the move up, Kris Medlen was optioned down to the Aces.
Shipley, 26, will be available for Saturday’s game in relief, the club said.
In his six games with the Aces, Shipley has gone 2-3 with a 6.40 ERA and 1.52 WHIP while striking out 28 and walking just eight in 32.1 innings pitched.
In his first three starts of the season, Shipley went 2-0 with 14 strikeouts and a 1.56 ERA.
As a member of the D-backs, Shipley has played in 23 games, starting 14, over the course of two seasons. He has a combined 4-6 record with a 5.40 ERA and 1.62 WHIP in 95.0 innings pitched. He also struckout 61 batters.
In 2017, Shipley went 0-1 with a 5.76 ERA in 10 games for Arizona.
Medlen, 32, who made his first start in nearly two years Friday night against the Houston Astros, heads back to Reno.
In his lone start for the Snakes, Medlen struggled. He allowed seven earned runs over the course of 4.0 innings pitched, ending the night with a 15.75 ERA and a loss.
To catch all the action from Saturday’s game, tune into 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station.
- NL West and Wild Card tracker: The D-backs fight for the playoffs
- A.J. Pollock’s homer lifts Diamondbacks over Padres
- Paul Goldschmidt sets D-backs’ record with 10th straight base reached
- Paul Goldschmidt’s big night not enough as D-backs fall to Padres
- Goldschmidt homers, Souza picks up 3 RBI in D-backs’ win over Padres