Kevin Guy becomes Rattlers’ all-time winningest coach in win over Danger
Arizona Rattlers head coach Kevin Guy became the franchise’s all-time winningest coach Sunday night after leading his team to a 45-40 victory over the Nebraska Danger.
Guy surpassed previous Rattlers head coach Danny White, who went 141-65 in 13 seasons with the franchise from 1992-2004.
In just his 10th season, Guy has an overall record of 142-44 with Arizona and has led the team to four championships (2012-14 AFL, 2017 IFL).
The Rattlers have never missed the playoffs under Guy, and maintain a half-game lead for first place over the Iowa Barnstormers with the win on Sunday.
But it didn’t come easy, as both the Rattlers and Danger traded scores throughout the first half.
Wide receiver Jamal Miles got Arizona on the board first with a three-yard run to even the score at seven early in the first quarter.
After a Danger field goal, running back Shadrach Thornton found the end zone from eight yards out to give the Rattlers the 14-10 lead.
The Danger would go on to retake the lead thanks to a 13-yard pass from quarterback Eric Hankerson to wideout Eric Thomas.
Rattlers quarterback Jeff Ziemba answered with a seven-yard run, his first of two on the night. Following a Sawyer Petr 29-yard field goal, the Rattlers took a 24-20 lead into the half.
Arizona managed to jump out to a 12-point lead in the third quarter thanks to Ziemba, who scored his second rushing touchdown on the night and connected with wide receiver Dezmon Epps from five yards out.
Ziemba finished the night 13-for-23 with 108 yards passing and two touchdowns. He added 31 yards on the ground on eight attempts.
Trailing 45-33 late in the fourth quarter, the Danger added on another score to trim the Rattlers’ lead to five points, but ultimately fell short.
– The Rattlers honored former defensive lineman Anttaj Hawthorne, inducting him into the Ring of Honor. Hawthorne appeared in five Arena Bowls for the Rattlers, winning three (2012, 2013, 2014). He becomes the fourth Rattler to be inducted into the Ring of Honor, joining Sherdrick Bonner, Hunkie Cooper and Randy Gatewood.
The Rattlers travel to Iowa to take on the Barnstormers in a pivotal matchup Saturday, June 2. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:05 p.m.
- Arizona Rattlers dismantle Danger in regular season finale
- Arizona Rattlers Nation creates a family in indoor football
- For Rattlers, IFL is another stepping stone for a career in the NFL
- Rattlers falter in 2nd half, lose crucial road matchup to Barnstormers
- Rattlers fail to stop Iowa, edged in overtime in front of record crowd