Taurasi, Bonner lead Mercury to a road win over Dream
ATLANTA — Diana Taurasi and DeWanna Bonner had 20 points apiece and combined to score the Mercury’s final 20 points as Phoenix beat the Atlanta Dream 78-71 on Sunday.
Bonner added seven rebounds, six assists and two steals while Taurasi finished with eight assists.
Brittney Griner had 17 points, seven rebounds and three blocks for the Mercury (4-3).
Brittney Sykes made a layup to trim Atlanta’s deficit to 58-57 early in the fourth quarter, but Taurasi scored 12 points from there as she and Bonner combined to make 12 of 12 free throws over the final six-plus minutes to hold off the Dream (2-3).
— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) June 3, 2018
Taurasi hit Bonner for a 3-pointer to open the scoring and Phoenix never trailed.
Bonner hit a jumper to make it 50-36, and match the Mercury’s biggest lead of the game, with seven minutes left in the third quarter.
Five different Atlanta players scored during a 17-4 run over the next six minutes that pulled the Dream within one.
Angel McCoughtry, who sat out last season to rest, had 21 points and 10 rebounds — both season highs — for Atlanta.
- Mercury guard Diana Taurasi makes All-WNBA First Team for 10th time
- Mercury can’t contain Sue Bird late, eliminated from playoffs by Storm
- Mercury set for Game 5 vs. Storm after becoming first to come back from 0-2
- Griner, Mercury fight back from 17-point deficit, force Game 5
- DeWanna Bonner leads Mercury to game 3 win with 18 first-half points