Mercury’s eight-game winning streak snapped by Lynx
PHOENIX — Maya Moore scored 23 points and the Minnesota Lynx beat Phoenix 83-72 on Friday night to end the Mercury’s eight-game winning streak.
Lindsay Whalen added 15 points for Minnesota (6-6), Seimone Augustus had 14, and Sylvia Fowles finished with 11 points and 10 rebounds. The defending champion Lynx have won three in a row after losing five of six.
Diana Taurasi scored 23 points for Phoenix (10-4), and Brittney Griner had 18 points and 13 rebounds.
Whalen scored six points during Minnesota’s 12-4 opening run, and Moore hit a 3-pointer to push the lead to 40-19 midway through the second quarter. Taurasi scored eight points, Sancho Lyttle converted a 3-point play and Briann January hit a 3-pointer during a 14-6 run that pulled Phoenix within eight with four minutes to play. But Rebekkah Brunson answered with a layup and, after a turnover by Taurasi, Fowles added a basket to make it 73-61 with three minutes left.
- Mercury’s Taurasi says this could be last offseason playing in Russia
- Griner has 27, Mercury top Sky; Taurasi nears record
- Griner’s 26 points not enough for Mercury to beat Liberty
- Mercury’s Diana Taurasi suspended one game for hitting opposing player
- Mercury beat Stars as Brittney Griner gets second straight double-double