Grand Canyon uses depth to beat Jacksonville
PHOENIX — Alessandro Lever scored 15 points and Grand Canyon won its ninth straight home game by beating Jacksonville 76-59 on Monday night.
The Lopes used their bench early, and with the game tied at 9-9, Grand Canyon (2-1) went on a 13-3 run and maintained control the rest of the way. Damari Milstead, Tim Finke, Roberts Blumbergs and Matt Jackson finished with a combined 31 points off the bench to help secure the win. Milstead lost his starting job to graduate transfer Trey Drechsel, who struggled shooting and finished 3 of 9 from the floor.
The Antelopes had 52 rebounds (21 on offense) to the Dolphins’ 25. Jacksonville’s tallest player, David Bell, played only 13 minutes due to foul trouble.
GCU shot 34 percent in the second half after shooting 48.5 percent in the first half, but the Antelopes made 11 of 14 free throws in the second half.
JD Notae scored 13 for Jacksonville (0-3). Tyreese Davis scored 12 and Jalyn Hinton and Tanner Rubio finished with 11 apiece.
- Grand Canyon heads to CBI hoping for better result than last year
- New Mexico State routs Grand Canyon in WAC title game
- Grand Canyon falls to Seattle in overtime in regular season finale
- Three Antelopes combine for 59 as GCU beats Chicago State
- The history of the Phoenix Suns at NBA All-Star Weekend