Grand Canyon uses depth to beat Jacksonville
PHOENIX — Alessandro Lever scored 15 points and Grand Canyon won its ninth straight home game by beating Jacksonville 76-59 on Monday night.
The Lopes used their bench early, and with the game tied at 9-9, Grand Canyon (2-1) went on a 13-3 run and maintained control the rest of the way. Damari Milstead, Tim Finke, Roberts Blumbergs and Matt Jackson finished with a combined 31 points off the bench to help secure the win. Milstead lost his starting job to graduate transfer Trey Drechsel, who struggled shooting and finished 3 of 9 from the floor.
The Antelopes had 52 rebounds (21 on offense) to the Dolphins’ 25. Jacksonville’s tallest player, David Bell, played only 13 minutes due to foul trouble.
GCU shot 34 percent in the second half after shooting 48.5 percent in the first half, but the Antelopes made 11 of 14 free throws in the second half.
JD Notae scored 13 for Jacksonville (0-3). Tyreese Davis scored 12 and Jalyn Hinton and Tanner Rubio finished with 11 apiece.
- Grand Canyon can’t hold on late in close loss to No. 6 Nevada
- Grand Canyon falls to Utah in Wooden Legacy, will play for seventh place
- College basketball kicks off with three exhibition games in Valley
- Suns dip into in-state pool again by selecting Arizona’s Deandre Ayton
- ASU, Arizona, GCU and high schools represent state in 2018 MLB Draft