Pineiro’s late 3s help San Diego edge Grand Canyon
SAN DIEGO — Isaiah Pineiro made two late 3-pointers and blocked the last shot of the game to help San Diego beat Grand Canyon 61-58 on Saturday night.
Pineiro’s 3 put the Toreros ahead 58-56 with 2:20 to play. Alessandro Lever made two free throws with 1:15 left to tie it at 58. Pineiro answered with his second 3-pointer with a minute remaining, then Lever and the Toreros’ Olin Carter III each missed a shot. Pineiro blocked Carlos Johnson’s shot with two seconds left to seal it.
Carter scored 19 to lead San Diego (11-4), which improved to 8-0 at home. Pineiro had 17 points and 12 rebounds, and Alex Floresca chipped in with 10 points.
Lever scored 27 points and Trey Drechsel added 11 for Grand Canyon (7-6). The duo each had a team-high six rebounds.
- Michael Finke carries Grand Canyon past Cal State Bakersfield
- After 4th title, Shadow Mountain’s Jovan Blacksher ready for GCU
- Eli Chuha lifts New Mexico State over Grand Canyon
- GCU’s balanced offense leads to rout of Chicago State
- Alessandro Lever, Grand Canyon cruises past Mississippi Valley State