Throwback: Arizona athletes on the cover of ESPN The Magazine
The news broke this week that ESPN The Magazine, which first came out in 1998, would print for the last time later this year as journalism increasingly shifts to digital platforms.
“The only change here is that we are moving away from printing it on paper and sending it in the mail, following September’s release of The Body Issue,” ESPN said in a statement. “Our data shows the vast majority of readers already consume our print journalism on digital platforms, and this approach will maximize our reach and impact.”
But days of getting the magazine in the mail are gone.
And over the years, many, many athletes have graced those covers.
So we looked back at the many times an athlete with ties to Arizona was on the front of ESPN The Magazine.
See the gallery above to look through past covers and get a taste of nostalgia.
- By the numbers: Diamondbacks’ road trip vs. Rockies, Rays
- As D-backs host Yankees, memories surface of 2001 World Series
- The history of the Phoenix Suns at NBA All-Star Weekend
- Where does Larry Fitzgerald rank among AZ’s longest-tenured athletes?
- Richardson: Seven Seconds or Less Suns ‘would’ve won’ if not broken up