A report has come out
alleging that the New Orleans Saints players maintained a
bounty program, one that led to them targeting opponents
with the intent to injure them.
The NFL began its investigation into
the matter in early 2010 after hearing that quarterbacks
Kurt Warner and Brett Favre had been targeted.
Warner, who retired a couple weeks after the Cardinals
lost a playoff game to the Saints, said the news isn’t a
“I think it’s definitely disappointing, but I won’t say
that I’m completely surprised,” Warner told Arizona Sports
620’s Burns and Gambo Friday, adding that he
isn’t sure the Saints did what they are being investigated
for. “I’m not surprised that there were teams out there
doing those kinds of things behind closed doors.”
If it is true — and even if it’s not — Warner said the
concept is not exactly a new one.
“Guys, I believe, have gone out and tried to put the most
violent hit on people and knock people out of the game for
years and years and years,” he said. “Where I think it
crosses the line is when guys start taking cheap shots.
“I don’t know if that was a part of this period of time
and when this was going on — I know I took that hard hit
— but like I said, I look back on it and say there wasn’t
anything illegal about it; he went after me and he hit me