The Arizona Diamondbacks announced the firing of manager Kirk Gibson and bench coach Alan Trammell on Friday, leaving many to question who the next name to fill the dugout might be.
According to chief baseball officer Tony La Russa, a decision needs to be made “the quicker the better.”
A group of names has begun circulating between baseball analysts and beat writers alike. Here is a list of who could potentially be leading the Snakes in 2015:
• Mike Aldrete: Aldrete is currently the bench coach for the St. Louis Cardinals. He has also served as the Cardinals assistant hitting coach since 2008. Aldrete served as the D-backs hitting coach in 2005-06.
• Jay Bell: The former D-back served his first season as the Cincinnati Reds bench coach in 2014. He was the Pittsburgh Pirates hitting coach in 2013.
• Joe McEwing: Currently in year three as the third-base coach for the Chicago White Sox. He spent the 2011 season as the manager for Chicago’s Triple-A affiliate.
• Andy Green
(mentioned by La Russa as in-house candidate): Green is the manager of the Mobile BayBears, Arizona’s Double-A affiliate.
• Phil Nevin
(mentioned by La Russa as in-house candidate): Nevin currently manages the D-backs Triple-A affiliate, the Reno Aces, after managing the Detroit Tigers Triple-A affiliate from Nov. 2010 to Aug. 2013.
• Jose Oquendo: Oquendo is finishing his 15th season as the St. Louis Cardinals third-base coach.
• Terry Steinbach: Steinbach has been the Minnesota Twins bench coach since 2013.
• Turner Ward
(mentioned by La Russa as in-house candidate): Currently the D-backs hitting coach after serving as the assistant hitting coach in 2013.