Baseball season is long.
Over the course of 162 games, players will do a lot of different things to pass the time. That apparently includes adopting hamsters as unofficial team mascots.
That’s what the Arizona Diamondbacks have done by bringing Slider, a hamster, into the clubhouse. As Kate Longworth of Fox Sports Arizona explains, the team adopted a praying mantis while on the road in Cincinnati and the D-backs swept the Reds. In hopes of keeping the good fortune going, they brought him back to the Valley and now have provided him with a furry friend.
Things aren’t off to a great start for Slider, though. The D-backs are 0-2 on the current homestand, including Tuesday night’s 9-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals.
- Goldschmidt, Dyson lead Diamondbacks to win over Angels
- Jarrod Dyson robs potential go-ahead grand slam in D-backs’ win
- D-backs’ Souza Jr. takes casual stroll on Chase Field concourse
- D-backs Farm Rumblings: A combined no-no and a torrid Socrates Brito
- From the D-backs’ POV: How the ninth inning unraveled in loss to Mets