Baseball season is long.
Over the course of 162 games, players will do a lot of different things to pass the time. That apparently includes adopting hamsters as unofficial team mascots.
That’s what the Arizona Diamondbacks have done by bringing Slider, a hamster, into the clubhouse. As Kate Longworth of Fox Sports Arizona explains, the team adopted a praying mantis while on the road in Cincinnati and the D-backs swept the Reds. In hopes of keeping the good fortune going, they brought him back to the Valley and now have provided him with a furry friend.
Things aren’t off to a great start for Slider, though. The D-backs are 0-2 on the current homestand, including Tuesday night’s 9-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals.
- D-backs’ Zack Greinke to miss next scheduled start
- D-backs make five roster moves, send Socrates Brito to Triple-A
- D-backs’ Robbie Ray throws strong outing with Opening Day a possibility
- D-backs uncertain about Zack Greinke’s status for Opening Day
- Portillo’s and Dutch Bros join food options for D-backs at Chase Field