Baseball season is long.
Over the course of 162 games, players will do a lot of different things to pass the time. That apparently includes adopting hamsters as unofficial team mascots.
That’s what the Arizona Diamondbacks have done by bringing Slider, a hamster, into the clubhouse. As Kate Longworth of Fox Sports Arizona explains, the team adopted a praying mantis while on the road in Cincinnati and the D-backs swept the Reds. In hopes of keeping the good fortune going, they brought him back to the Valley and now have provided him with a furry friend.
Things aren’t off to a great start for Slider, though. The D-backs are 0-2 on the current homestand, including Tuesday night’s 9-1 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals.
- D-backs’ elimination number down to 1 after Saturday’s loss to Rockies
- D-backs lose in Corbin’s possible finale at Chase Field
- Saturday may have been Corbin’s last Chase Field start as a Diamondback
- Diamondbacks bullpen has rough eighth inning in loss to Rockies
- D-backs’ Brad Ziegler tweets his frustrations on costly replay review