Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman Paul Goldschmidt will miss his team’s game Wednesday due to the impending birth of his first child.
Goldschmidt was heading back to Phoenix as his team prepared to play the Colorado Rockies, general manager Dave Stewart told MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert. He is expected back Saturday for the second game of a three-game set against the Chicago Cubs.
#Dbacks GM Dave Stewart said Paul Goldschmidt did head to Phoenix for birth of his first child.
— Steve Gilbert (@SteveGilbertMLB) September 2, 2015
Goldschmidt was left off the D-backs’ lineup card Wednesday, and the move will give regular third baseman Jake Lamb the start at first. Brandon Drury, who started his first major league game Tuesday morning, will again play at third.
The top of the D-backs’ order will look a bit different without Goldschmidt.
Ender Inciarte will lead off as usual, while A.J. Pollock will slide from the second to the third slot in the order behind Phil Gosselin, who will be playing his fourth game as a member of the Diamondbacks. David Peralta will remain fourth in the order.
- D-backs’ Souza exits Cactus League game after straining right shoulder
- Diamondbacks’ Zack Greinke: My groin is pretty good
- D-backs give inside look at new museum, cabanas at Chase Field
- D-backs introduce Portillo’s, Gonzo’s Grill, Dutch Bros at Chase Field
- D-backs’ Ray has command issues in short outing against Angels