A baseball tradition that was first started in 1910 by President William Howard Taft, took on a whole new twist Monday when a cat threw out the ceremonial first pitch before the Arizona Diamondbacks’ game with the San Francisco Giants.
The internet sensation feline known as “Grumpy Cat” posed for pictures with D-backs manager Chip Hale and other members of the organization.
While the cat may not have found much fun out of the game, D-backs fans were happy to see the offensive outburst out of the team and the 6-1 win.
- Current D-backs, 2001 champs dominate 20th anniversary team
- The 5: Diamondbacks storylines to watch in the season’s second half
- D-backs’ Clay Buchholz pitches 6 innings, strikes out 6 in rehab start
- For the D-backs, Manny Machado to the Dodgers is no big deal
- D-backs post-All-Star notebook: Injuries and the starting rotation