For fans of the Arizona Wildcats, the hope is that Saturday’s visit from the crew of ESPN’s College GameDay turns out better than the last time college football’s signature preview show visited Tucson. In GameDay’s first trip to the University of Arizona campus in 2009, the Wildcats fell in dramatic, double overtime fashion to Oregon 44-41. That game infamously revealed Arizona’s, and more specifically, the ‘Zona Zoo’s inability to handle prosperity, when the school’s aptly named student section prematurely rushed the field late in the fourth quarter, only to see the Ducks roar back and ultimately win the game.
On that day, the Wildcats didn’t have the good fortune of having GameDay analyst Lee Corso don the mascot head of Wilbur the Wildcat. This time around, the magic of Corso may be on the ‘Cats side, as the former head coach picked 16th-ranked Arizona to upset the visiting ninth-ranked UCLA Bruins.
Checkout the sights (and signs!) from College GameDay’s location this week in Tucson below.
- WATCH: UA women’s basketball Lindsey Malecha receives scholarship
- Arizona basketball earns commitment from Cornell transfer Stone Gettings
- UA’s Allonzo Trier, Rawle Alkins conclude first NBA Summer League
- Top plays with Arizona ties from the 2017 college football season
- Suns dip into in-state pool again by selecting Arizona’s Deandre Ayton