For fans of the Arizona Wildcats, the hope is that Saturday’s visit from the crew of ESPN’s College GameDay turns out better than the last time college football’s signature preview show visited Tucson. In GameDay’s first trip to the University of Arizona campus in 2009, the Wildcats fell in dramatic, double overtime fashion to Oregon 44-41. That game infamously revealed Arizona’s, and more specifically, the ‘Zona Zoo’s inability to handle prosperity, when the school’s aptly named student section prematurely rushed the field late in the fourth quarter, only to see the Ducks roar back and ultimately win the game.
On that day, the Wildcats didn’t have the good fortune of having GameDay analyst Lee Corso don the mascot head of Wilbur the Wildcat. This time around, the magic of Corso may be on the ‘Cats side, as the former head coach picked 16th-ranked Arizona to upset the visiting ninth-ranked UCLA Bruins.
Checkout the sights (and signs!) from College GameDay’s location this week in Tucson below.
- ASU and Arizona face Pac-12-leading Stanford, desperate Cal
- The 5: Notable quotes from Kevin Sumlin’s introduction at Arizona
- Arizona leapfrogs ASU in AP Poll after hosting Oregon schools
- Nine things to know about new Arizona football coach Kevin Sumlin
- Kevin Sumlin to Arizona: Past, present and (maybe) future Wildcats react