Like a player doing conditioning drills with the 2015-16 NBA season on the horizon, Gregg Popovich can’t begin the year out of shape.
For the San Antonio Spurs coach, that means practicing what he’s best at: Getting in midseason form with his in-game interviews.
NBATV caught up with Pop to talk about the upcoming season, and the Spurs head coach used a few questions about newcomer LaMarcus Aldridge as an opportunity to perfect the art of making reporters feel really uncomfortable.
“What have you learned about him that wasn’t in the scouting report as you’ve gotten to know him now that he’s become a Spur?” Popovich is asked by a reporter.
“Nothing,” the coach says, pausing. “I haven’t seen him.”
“What about the time you spent with him during the recruiting process and just getting to know him as a person?” the interviewer asks.
“I didn’t talk to him too much. We just talked about who we are,” Popovich says dryly before adding, “I’m screwing with you ’cause I’m just getting ready for the season. That’s why I’m doing this.”
If that’s not enough to get you excited about the NBA season, what is?
- Suns’ Eric Bledsoe ranks among top 40 NBA players
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians, July 27
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians, July 25
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians
- NBA players have some fun with the Drive By Dunk Challenge