New Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians has been hammered with questions about the team’s quarterback situation since he met the media the day he interviewed for the job. Wednesday, when he sat in front of the media once again at the Cards facility, he started with a statement about the popular topic.
“Nothing has changed on my comments on quarterbacks since the last time we talked,” he said. “We are presently evaluating, now that we have the staff together, everyone that’s on the Cardinals team. Practice squad and everybody that played last year, guys that are on IR and we’re all pleasantly pleased at what we’re seeing.”
Arians can’t blame the media or the fans for wanting an answer to the question of the revolving quarterback. Last year the team used four different QBs in the span of 16 regular season games.
“The quarterback situation will take some time. I like what we’ve got and what we have will be better,” Arians added. “If there’s a better option behind door number two, Steve (Keim) and Jason (Licht) will search it out for us and will look at that option also and see if that’s better for the Cardinals.”
Arians also said that some of the offensive woes last season were due to injuries, and he’s partially right. Both Kevin Kolb and John Skelton missed significant time, and that could have contributed to the dead last offensive ranking.
“There’s nowhere to go but up,” Arians said. “I guarantee you we won’t be there this year and I think injuries played a big part of that.”
Arizona averaged just 263 yards of total offense per game, including 75 yards on the ground and 188 in the air. The team scored an average of 15.6 points per game.