MISSOULA, Mont. — Martin Breunig scored 29 points on 12-for-14 shooting and became the 30th player in Montana school history to reach 1,000 career points in an 85-67 win over Northern Arizona on Saturday night.
Breunig also had 12 rebounds as Montana (16-8, 11-2 Big Sky) won its third straight and 12th in its last 14 games.
Michael Oguine chipped in 16 points and Brandon Gfeller added 13.
Kris Yanku scored 21 for Northern Arizona (4-20, 2-11) and Mike Green added 15.
Breunig scored 16 points in the first half as Montana built a 37-28 lead at the half. In the second, Oguine made two free throws and layup to make it 49-37. But Ako Kaluna and Yanku each made a pair of free throws and Torry Johnson’s layup with 2:55 to play cut the lead to six.
The Griz responded with a 10-6 run to stretch the lead to 59-49. A Breunig dunk pushed the lead to 66-51.
- NAU remains winless in conference play, falls to Southern Utah
- Northern Arizona loses heartbreaker to Montana State in overtime
- Thomas’ double-double helps NAU defeat San Diego Christian
- Northern Arizona has first 0-7 start to a season in over 60 years
- ASU dismantles NAU behind Romello White’s big night