Sports Illustrated’s Thayer Evans reported Monday Arizona State running backs coach Kodi Burns has left the Sun Devils to join Auburn coach Gus Malzahn’s staff.
According to Evans, Burns will return to the Tigers where he played from 2007-10 while Malzahn was the offensive coordinator.
“I’m really excited to be back home at Auburn,” Burns said in a statement published on AuburnTigers.com. “I was fortunate to be a part of very successful teams at Auburn, and I look forward to helping the program be successful in the future. I appreciate Coach Malzahn giving me this opportunity and I can’t wait to rejoin a lot of familiar faces on the offensive staff. I’m ready to go to work.”
Burns, 27, was hired by ASU coach Todd Graham in January, replacing former coach Josh Martin who was promoted to tight ends coach. The moves followed after former Sun Devil offensive coordinator Mike Norvell left to become coach of the Memphis Tigers.
Burns was the wide receivers coach for Middle Tennessee State last year where he helped coach Richie James, who led Conference USA in receptions with 108.
Prior to that, Burns served as running backs coach at Sanford in 2014 and a graduate assistant at Arkansas State in 2012 and Auburn in 2013.
- I choose you! ASU WR N’Keal Harry appears in ‘Curtain of Distraction’
- Danny Gonzales, ASU defense preparing smart for Fresno State
- ASU LB Merlin Robertson named Pac-12 Defensive Freshman of the Year
- ASU showing progress in Herm Edwards’ first year
- ASU’s Benjamin and Harry, Arizona’s Taylor make All-Pac-12 First Team