Sports Illustrated’s Thayer Evans reported Monday Arizona State running backs coach Kodi Burns has left the Sun Devils to join Auburn coach Gus Malzahn’s staff.
According to Evans, Burns will return to the Tigers where he played from 2007-10 while Malzahn was the offensive coordinator.
“I’m really excited to be back home at Auburn,” Burns said in a statement published on AuburnTigers.com. “I was fortunate to be a part of very successful teams at Auburn, and I look forward to helping the program be successful in the future. I appreciate Coach Malzahn giving me this opportunity and I can’t wait to rejoin a lot of familiar faces on the offensive staff. I’m ready to go to work.”
Burns, 27, was hired by ASU coach Todd Graham in January, replacing former coach Josh Martin who was promoted to tight ends coach. The moves followed after former Sun Devil offensive coordinator Mike Norvell left to become coach of the Memphis Tigers.
Burns was the wide receivers coach for Middle Tennessee State last year where he helped coach Richie James, who led Conference USA in receptions with 108.
Prior to that, Burns served as running backs coach at Sanford in 2014 and a graduate assistant at Arkansas State in 2012 and Auburn in 2013.
- ASU’s Brandon Ruiz wins Pac-12 Special Teams Player of the Week
- Thoughts on Arizona State’s surprising victory over Oregon
- Sun Devils save season with upset of No. 24 Oregon
- Fork Report: ASU upsets No. 24 Oregon behind Wilkins, Harry
- ASU’s third-down defense worst in the country, Graham gives keys to upset