With the additions of Zack Greinke and Shelby Miller, the Arizona Diamondbacks have 3-to-1 odds of winning the National League West this season according to Bovada, an online betting website.
The Diamondbacks’ two big moves to strengthen the starting rotation have many fans optimistic that the D-backs will return to postseason baseball for the first time in five years, but that still doesn’t have them as the favorites for the division title.
The San Francisco Giants have the best odds to win the division with 5-to-4 odds. The Giants enter the season hoping to continue a trend that has seen them win the World Series every even numbered year this decade. San Francisco also brought in more starting pitching, signing free agent pitchers Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija this winter.
The Dodgers are at 3-to-2 odds to repeat as division champions. Los Angeles will look for their fourth consecutive title behind ace Clayton Kershaw, but will do so without the services of Greinke, who provided L.A. with a one-two punch in the starting rotation.
The longshots for the title are the San Diego Padres at 12-to-1 odds and the Colorado Rockies at 50-to-1 odds.
Last season the Diamondbacks finished the year 79-83 under first year manager Chip Hale. The D-backs have not won the division since 2011.
- Former D-backs pitcher Gordon part of ‘Dream Series’ outreach showcase
- ESPN: Yasmany Tomas has the D-backs’ worst contract
- ESPN’s Olney: Red Sox offered Martinez deal in range of $100 million
- D-backs avoid arbitration with 9 players including Ray, Lamb, Pollock
- D-backs reach agreement with Brad Boxberger, avoid arbitration