When we say the Baltimore Orioles’ Joey Rickard knows how to put a liner through an infield hole, we mean it quite literally.
Rickard, a former Arizona star, burst onto the scene this spring and continued with a hot hitting start in the Orioles’ lead-off spot. He continued to draw eyes Thursday when he hit right at Toronto’s Josh Donaldson at third base. Donaldson made the easy grab but his glove couldn’t handle the pressure.
The ball ripped through the leather webbing and Rickard reached on what was ruled a single.
That’s nice of the scorekeepers to keep an error off Donaldson in what was clearly an equipment error. It appears Donaldson’s glove got repaired while he used a replacement, but the play just might have gotten the poor thing benched.
We’re guessing Rickard is going to jam out to some Justin Bieber tonight. The former Wildcat is hitting .339 through the first 14 games of 2016.
- D-backs acquire RHP Stefan Crichton in trade with Orioles
- ESPN’s Schoenfield: D-backs could still retain J.D. Martinez
- Carson Chats: Gloved Palmer feels the length of Cardinals camp
- Fan in Toronto throws drink at Orioles OF Hyun-soo Kim
- Shelby Miller has best outing of season, but D-backs lose to Orioles