You knew Suns rookie Marquese Chriss will be good for a highlight dunk or two every game.
That’s also true in the preseason, when meaningless basketball can produce things that, in a vacuum, are amazing. Heck, this play in Phoenix’s Wednesday night preseason game against the Utah Jazz was still great within context.
Devin Booker’s drive drew a bit of attention and the 19-year-old guard hit the 19-year-old forward rolling down the middle with a bounce pass.
What’s fun here is that it appeared the Jazz had all the help they needed to stop most big men who catch the ball from 15 feet out. But Chriss’ explosiveness showed as he accelerated off the runway quicker than Utah’s defenders anticipated, getting him to the rim without a dribble for a dunk that had quite a bit of force behind it.
The basic action and the surprising result reminds us of something and someone familiar to the Valley …
Oh, yeah, that guy.
- NBA Draft Lottery positioning in 2018 could be an all-time race
- By the numbers: Suns face tough odds with remaining schedule
- Elfrid Payton’s first impression with Suns is both encouraging, concerning
- Phoenix Suns’ Devin Booker wins NBA 3-Point Contest 2018
- Larry Nance Jr. pays tribute to father, former Suns player, in dunk contest