ASU finds itself 5-1, an improbable result for a team whose defense has been porous and whose quarterbacks have lately been hurt.
The Sun Devils’ 23-20 victory against UCLA on Saturday saw them overcome the loss of backup quarterback Brady White and their defense step up late, sealing the victory with two sacks and a pick on the final Bruins series.
It was a gutty victory, and Arizona State gave fans a taste of the celebration by posting clips of Todd Graham’s postgame speech to his Sun Devils. In it, he credits defensive back Marcus Ball, who had 10 tackles and an interception, kicker Zane Gonzalez for his record-setting performance and White for putting ASU in position to win.
“Discipline beats talent every day of the week. Smart beats careless every day of the week,” Graham told his team in the locker room after the game.
“All is that matters is when that gun went off, we’re winners.”
Gonzalez ends the locker room celebration by breaking the rock.
- Trio of Arizona State players set to leave football program
- Sun Devils look to extend win streak against Stanford
- ESPN NBA mock draft has ASU’s Luguentz Dort going No. 20 to Spurs
- ASU LB Merlin Robertson named freshman All-American by FWAA
- Reports: ASU running backs coach John Simon takes job at Memphis