GCU basketball holds off Adams State in exhibition
Grand Canyon basketball held off Adams State 88-83 in a home exhibition game Thursday behind DeWayne Russell’s 17 points and 11 assists.
The Antelopes led 39-28 at the half and by as many as 14 but held on late as Adams State made a late push in the final minute.
“This was just a bad performance,” head coach Dan Majerle told GCULopes.com. “It is a wake up call for our guys. We came out flat. I thought we would come out with energy, especially with our amazing crowd and amazing student section. I cannot thank them enough for showing up and being a part of this. I told my guys they should be very thankful, and they are very thankful, but I don’t know if our guys just took Adams State too lightly.”
Joshua Braun added 14 points and played all 40 minutes for Majerle’s ‘Lopes, while Kerwin Smith and Shaq Carr added 13 each.
GCU shot 53 percent and held Adams State to 37 percent, but the ‘Lopes committed 22 turnovers on the night.
- GCU basketball’s Alessandro Lever, Joshua Braun make All-WAC teams
- Thoughts from Newsmakers Week, Day 3: Majerle and Anderson in studio
- Arizona Sports Hall of Fame inducts noteworthy 2017 class
- As GCU completes D-I transition, Pac-12 relationship remains complicated
- Report: Oregon guard, Corona Del Sol product Casey Benson expected to transfer to GCU