Wildcats add Ray Smith to ‘This is Arizona’ intro video
— Arizona Basketball (@APlayersProgram) November 6, 2016
Arizona’s pregame hype video has remained standard over the last several years.
Former players read off the basketball program’s list of impressive accolades — the NBA draft picks, the All-Americans, the Final Fours and the 1997 championship — but who reads them is often tweaked for special occasions. And as small as an occasion an exhibition game against Chico State was on Sunday afternoon, the tweak this time around was a good one.
The Wildcats closed the video with Ray Smith reading the final line, “This is Arizona,” less than a week after he suffered his third major knee injury and retired from playing.
Smith promised people shouldn’t feel sorry for him following his retirement after spending the last two full years rehabbing from injuries.
It appears that’s genuine. He’s not feeling sorry for himself.
- Arizona defeats USC in Pac-12 Championship, earns automatic bid
- Arizona earns top spot in Pac-12 Tournament, ASU seeded ninth
- Ayton named one of 15 finalists for John R. Wooden Award
- Full transcript of Sean Miller’s statement concerning ESPN report
- Wright and Vollstedt represent UA and ASU in Pac-12 Hall of Honor class