PHOENIX (AP) — DeWayne Russell scored 27 points and made all 13 of his free throws and Grand Canyon beat Alcorn State 63-53 on Tuesday night for its fourth straight win at home.
Fiifi Aidoo scored 14 points and Keonta Vernon added 10 with 10 rebounds for the Antelopes (7-5), who made 19 of 28 free throws.
Aidoo scored a layup and a 3 and the Antelopes led 44-34 in the second half after a 3 by Russell. Both teams went cold, with Alcorn State making one of eight shots while the Antelopes went scoreless for three minutes. Vernon made a jumper and a dunk off a steal and Grand Canyon led 57-43 with 2:28 left and held on.
Alcorn State led 26-25 on Reginal Johnson’s layup, but buckets by Kerwin Smith and Vernon helped Grand Canyon take a 32-29 halftime lead.
Marquis Vance scored 12 points and had 14 boards for the Braves (2-8) and Johnson scored 12 with 10 rebounds.
- Grand Canyon’s DeWayne Russell wins WAC Player of the Week for third time
- ESPN writer lists Zack Greinke as D-back most primed for comeback season
- Grand Canyon overtakes New Mexico State
- Keonta Vernon leads Grand Canyon past Texas-Rio Grande Valley
- Late rally costs Grand Canyon in loss to CS Bakersfield