Ohio paper cooks Warriors like Kyrie with impeccable ‘3-1 lead’ jab
The NBA’s Christmas hoops schedule got off to a strong start Sunday with a thriller of a 2016 championship rematch.
Golden State led Cleveland most of the way but blew a 14-point fourth-quarter lead and was doomed in a 109-108 loss at the hands of a difficult shot by Cavs point guard Kyrie Irving. The Morning Journal, a small paper outside of Cleveland, certainly won the next day — and undoubtedly got a chuckle out of Cavaliers fans — with clever headline writing.
3-1 lead (sorry, muscle memory) 14-point lead in fourth quarter,” the subheadline read under the story titled “Clutch Kyrie caps Cavs’ Christmas.”
Apparently, those in northeast Ohio aren’t done with the “3-1 lead” jokes after the Dubs blew a 3-1 series advantage in the NBA Finals last year. While the last viral reference to the joke came with spooky Halloween cookies at LeBron James’ party, this self-edited headline was a cold gesture toward those out in the Bay Area.
Do we think the folks at The Morning Journal feel regret after their headline went viral?
It seems not.
- J.R. Smith stars in hilarious Foot Locker ad campaign
- Mikal Bridges makes solid impression during Suns’ inconsistent trip
- ‘Not in my house!’: Boogie Cousins shows no mercy with kids on blacktop
- Former Suns point guard Tyler Ulis reportedly signs with Warriors
- Devin Booker impresses Griffin, uses time at Team USA minicamp to learn