It was an unforgettable Christmas for 17-year-old Jarell Lara, who is battling a rare form of cancer. Like all teenagers her age, she probably has dreams of driving and having her own car.
Well, thanks to New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony and the Garden of Dreams Foundation, Lara was able see her dream become a reality.
Garden of Dreams Foundation is a non-profit organization that works closely with Madison Square Garden Company in New York to have a positive impact on the lives of children facing obstacles. Madison Square Garden is also the home arena of the Knicks as well as the NHL’s New York Rangers.
Character Counts Finalist
- Horizon's Kody Huff more than a rising baseball star
- Campo Verde's Kanani Hiapo thrives on volleyball court, in the classroom
- Raymond S. Kellis sophomore Chase Weaver balances leadership roles in sports, church
- Westwood's Brianna Anderson makes big differences with little actions
- Marcos de Niza kicker Krysten Muir using football success to build up others
- Arcadia High School's Grant Loftin leads in lacrosse and beyond
- Williams Field High School junior Lindsay O'Driscoll finds time to help others
- Scottsdale Christian's Christina Clark has dreams, reality of helping others
- Golf, piloting and helping others are Brody Burnell's passions
- Teddy bear drive, speeches help Emery Miller inspire children to overcome adversity