D-backs trade Peter O’Brien to Royals for RHP Sam Lewis
The Arizona Diamondbacks have sent slugger Peter O’Brien to the Kansas City Royals and acquired minor league right-hand pitcher Sam Lewis, the team announced Tuesday.
The 25-year-old Lewis recorded a 3-1 record and 1.62 ERA in 44.1 innings pitched, and batters hit .176 against him in Single-A Lexington and High-A Wilmington last year. Lewis also made three starts in Rookie Advanced Idaho Falls after he missed 2015 due to Tommy John surgery.
Lewis is 13-6 with a 2.92 ERA in 49 minor league games.
O’Brien was acquired in Arizona’s 2014 trade of Martin Prado with the New York Yankees. The power hitter spent his first year in the D-backs organization as a catcher before moving exclusively to the outfield in 2016. In 28 games played for the D-backs last year, he batted .141 with nine RBI and five home runs coming in nine hits.
O’Brien owns the Statcast record for hitting a ball at 119.5 mph two springs ago.
The D-backs designated him for assignment in December.
- D-backs avoid arbitration with 9 players including Ray, Lamb, Pollock
- D-backs reach agreement with Brad Boxberger, avoid arbitration
- D-backs agree to one-year deal with Corbin, avoid arbitration
- Report: Stalemate between Red Sox, J.D. Martinez continues
- D-backs announce pitchers, catchers workouts begin on Valentine’s Day