PHOENIX — Joshua Braun nailed a career-high 7 of 13 from beyond the arc to total 31 points as Grand Canyon opened Western Athletic Conference action with an 82-72 win over Utah Valley on Saturday night.
Braun, who scored 21 points in the first period for a career high in a half, had 34 and 30 points against Utah State last year.
DeWayne Russell had 21 points and 11 assists and Kerwin Smith added 12 points for Grand Canyon (10-6, 1-0), which has won five of its last six games.
Grand Canyon held a 38-35 lead at the break. The Antelopes’ Smith slammed home a dunk to start a 13-0 run and give Grand Canyon a 56-41 led at the 12:08 mark of the second period.
Kenneth Ogbe led Utah Valley (8-8, 0-1) with 20 points, Brandon Randolph added 18 with 10 rebounds, and Isaac Neilson had 14 points and 16 rebounds.
- Grand Canyon unable to keep up with UC Riverside
- Russell drops 27 to push Grand Canyon past Alcorn State
- Dan Majerle, GCU ‘Lopes ready for another test in Arizona Wildcats
- Russell, Vernon lift Grand Canyon past Ill.-Chicago
- Louisville head coach Rick Pitino says GCU crowd tougher than Duke, Kentucky