It was announced on Tuesday that Coyotes goalie Mike Smith will represent the team at this year’s NHL All-Star Game, which will take place at the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles on Jan. 29.
This is the first All-Star nod for Smith, who at 34 is posting one of the better seasons of his career. The sixth-year Coyote has just seven wins to go along with 11 losses and 5 overtime losses, but has a GAA of 2.83 and a save percentage of .918, which is tied for fifth-best in the Western Conference among goalies who have appeared in at least 24 games.
With his being named an All-Star, Smith becomes the 43rd All-Star in franchise history and third different goaltender to be honored, joining Nikolai Khabibulin (1998, 1999) and Sean Burke (2001, 2002).
- Leaving NY, Coyotes’ Derek Stepan faces more than a change in scenery
- ‘Yotes Draft Notes: D prospects, coaching search, roster balance
- Paul Bissonnette to join Coyotes radio broadcast team
- Chayka’s flurry of trades could accelerate Coyotes’ timeline
- Coyotes make Pierre-Olivier Joseph their first selection in NHL Draft