TORONTO (AP) — A person with knowledge of the negotiations says the Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to a minor league contract with free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity Tuesday because the agreement is subject to a successful physical and Toronto had not made an announcement.
Saltalamacchia would get a $1.25 million, one-year contract if added to the major league roster.
Toronto has been looking for a backup catcher to Russell Martin.
Saltalamacchia hit .171 with 12 home runs and 38 RBIs in 92 games with Detroit last season. The 31-year-old switch-hitter has 110 career home runs.
AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum contributed to this report.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Coyotes hope third time’s a charm at NHL Draft Lottery
- Albuquerque Isotopes show off ‘Green Chile Cheeseburger’ jerseys
- Sedona Red Recap: Greinke dominant as D-backs pound Indians
- NFL.com: Cards’ ‘defensive exodus’ biggest free agency loss in NFC West
- Trivia Tuesday: Pitchers with the most strikeouts since 2012