Martin Hanzal debuts with Wild wearing Shane Doan’s number
When Martin Hanzal made his debut with the Minnesota Wild on Monday night, he was wearing the same number his former captain Shane Doan still wears: No. 19.
Hanzal, along with Ryan White, was traded to the Wild on Sunday. Hanzal and Doan had played together in Arizona for 10 seasons after Hanzal entered the league in 2007. As Arizona Sports’ Craig Morgan reported, Hanzal had a hard time leaving his long-time captain.
Apparently it wasn’t easy for Doan either, who seemed frustrated in an interview after the news that Hanzal was headed to Minnesota.
While with the Coyotes, Hanzal wore No. 11, which is currently in use by Wild left wing and alternate captain Zach Parise.
In other news, White scored against the Los Angeles Kings in his debut Monday. It was his eighth goal of the season.
- Arizona guard Brandon Williams leaves program to play professionally
- Pac-12 reaches agreement for rapid-results COVID-19 testing
- Andrew Chafin traded by D-backs to Cubs for player to be named
- Arizona basketball coaching legend Lute Olson dies at 85
- ASU, Arizona players among Pac-12 group sitting out for change