Griner leads Mercury over Liberty for third win in a row
PHOENIX (AP) — Brittney Griner had 31 points, 12 rebounds and six blocked shots to help the Phoenix Mercury beat the New York Liberty 81-69 on Sunday.
Diana Taurasi added 19 points, hitting five 3-pointers for the Mercury (10-6), who have won three straight.
Sugar Rodgers hit a 3-pointer and then a jumper to give New York (8-8) a 5-4 lead one minute in, but Griner answered with a basket that gave Phoenix the lead for good 12 seconds later. She scored six points during a 12-4 run that made it 34-23 early in the second quarter and the Liberty trailed by at least eight points the rest of the way.
Tina Charles had 29 points for New York and Rodgers added 14 points. Charles made 11 of 21 shots from the field but the rest of the Liberty players hit just 17 of 58 (29.3 percent).
It was the last of a four-game, 12-day road trip for the Liberty, who have lost four of five.
- Phoenix Mercury’s Taurasi, Griner, Bonner earn 2018 All-Star nods
- Griner scores 36, Mercury snap 3-game skid in win over Fever
- Courtney Williams powers Connecticut Sun past Mercury
- Dallas Wings win with balanced attack over Phoenix Mercury
- Phoenix Mercury’s late rally not enough, fall to Atlanta Dream