D-backs recall Anthony Banda, reinstate Ketel Marte
The Arizona Diamondbacks on Friday made a couple of roster moves, recalling pitcher Anthony Banda from Triple-A Reno while reinstating infielder Ketel Marte from the bereavement list.
To make room for the two, the team optioned pitcher Rubby De La Rosa and infielder Jack Reinheimer to Reno.
The 23-year-old Banda will start the D-backs’ Friday night game against San Francisco. It will be the second big league start of his career, after he allowed four earned runs and seven hits in 5.2 innings against the Washington Nationals on July 22.
In Triple-A this season, Banda — who is regarded as one of the team’s top prospects — has posted a 7-6 record with a 5.13 ERA.
Marte had been away from the team since July 31 following the death of his mother in the Dominican Republic. The 23-year-old is batting .242 with four home runs and 10 RBI in his first season with the D-backs after being acquired in an offseason trade that also brought in pitcher Taijuan Walker.
- J.D. Martinez’s agent keeps making hilarious metaphors
- D-backs’ free agency situation could make for an expensive road ahead
- D-backs’ Chris Owings undergoes second surgery on finger
- D-backs announce 2018 coaching staff, Narron promoted to bench coach
- NLDS Game 2 Notes: Torey Lovullo says Robbie Ray should be ‘wide open’