Watch: Doan’s full post-retirement interview on Burns and Gambo
Calling it a career, Shane Doan leaves behind quite the legacy in Arizona.
The 21-year NHL vet never suited up for another franchise and became known simply as The Captain to Valley hockey fanatics. Through the ups and downs of an Arizona Coyotes team that moved to Phoenix, moved arenas, went bankrupt and at times looked poised to leave the state, Doan remained a constant.
So when Doan wrote a letter in The Arizona Republic to announce his decision to retire, it marked the end of an era — even if Doan had already moved on from his tenure with the Coyotes.
To discuss his decision, how he came to it and his future, Doan joined 98.7 FM, Arizona’s Sports Station on the set of Burns and Gambo at Sanderson Ford Wednesday.
- Coyotes score in bizarre fashion after goalie skates puck in own goal
- Coyotes’ Chayka is confident in future of the team’s core
- Clayton Keller breaks Coyotes rookie points record in win over Sabres
- Battle for the bottom: Coyotes, Sabres vying with others for best lottery odds
- Coyotes ink goalie Merrick Madsen to entry-level contract