UC Irvine beats winless NAU in Las Vegas Invitational
LAS VEGAS — Eyassu Worku scored 13 points, Max Hazzard added 12 and UC Irvine beat winless Northern Arizona 77-71 on Friday in the Las Vegas Invitational.
Tommy Rutherford scored four quick points to give UC Irvine a 68-61 lead with 2:24 left in the game, but NAU answered with a 7-2 run. Rutherford had another dunk and Worku scored the next four points to extend the Anteaters’ lead to 76-68 with six seconds remaining.
John Edgar Jr. scored all nine of his points from 3-point range for UC Irvine (3-4), which plays at No. 23 UCLA on Sunday. Rutherford finished with eight points for the Anteaters, who shot 50 percent from the field.
Chris Bowling led NAU (0-6) with four 3-pointers and 26 points. Jojo Anderson added 19 points for the Lumberjacks, who were held to 38 percent shooting.
- NCAA’s NIL era arrives, some athletes are ready to cash in
- Suns surprise Central High School student with scholarship to NAU
- Arizona and Northern Arizona reach 10-year scheduling deal
- NAU basketball falls to UC Riverside in home opener
- Big Sky reveals Northern Arizona’s 6-game spring football schedule