Reliever T.J. McFarland signs one-year contract with D-backs
The Arizona Diamondbacks signed a one-year contract with left-handed reliever T.J. McFarland, they announced Wednesday.
McFarland was arbitration eligible and was non-tendered on Dec. 1, meaning he became a free agent.
The 28-year-old recorded a 5.33 ERA and went 4-5 with one start in 54.0 innings pitched in 2017, his fifth year in the majors. McFarland led National League bullpen arms with a ground ball percentage of 69.8 and was second with a ground ball-to-fly ball ratio of 4.88.
McFarland struggled against right-handed batters last season, allowing them to bat .338. However, he held left-handed opponents to a .222 average.
Since his rookie season in 2013 with the Baltimore Orioles, McFarland has ranked among the better ground ball relievers in MLB, ranking fifth in ground balls induced with 517 total over the past five seasons.
McFarland, who has pitched in 164 games, has a career 4.49 ERA.
Arizona’s roster stands at 38 players after the signing.
- D-backs’ Archie Bradley reflects on NL Wild Card Game, season
- D-backs’ Goldschmidt, Greinke listed among top MLB players in 2018
- Starting pitching once again expected to lead Arizona Diamondbacks
- Arizona Diamondbacks announce promotional schedule for 2018 season
- D-backs sign pitcher Jorge De La Rosa to minor league contract