Larry Fitzgerald sends his wishes to high school player battling cancer
From battling cancer, to having an amazing comeback and now getting a shout out from his idol Larry Fitzgerald, Rio Rico’s senior running back Ricky Perez has had a roller coaster of a year.
Perez was diagnosed with cancer in May last year and even though the future looked grim, the running back promised to make a return to the sport he loved for his senior season.
Before being diagnosed with cancer, Perez had a breakout junior season where he racked up a total of 1635 yards, averaging 181.7 yards a game, while scoring 15 touchdowns. The running back was also being scouted and received interest from Division I schools.
Only a few months after being diagnosed and going through chemotherapy, Perez played with a snap restriction and scored an emotional touchdown.
“When I get back to Arizona I gotta come visit you,” Fitzgerald said in the video. “God bless you and your family.”
- ESPN: College performances show Cards’ Josh Rosen’s ceiling, floor
- Cardinals’ Josh Rosen, NFL rookies try to draw team logos
- ‘The closer’: Gov. Ducey credited with sealing Arizona Super Bowl bid
- Bruce Arians believes Cardinals QB Josh Rosen has chance to start
- Cardinals RB D.J. Foster: Josh Rosen will be ‘exciting for the future, or now’