Northern Arizona goes cold, lose to Southern Utah
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Brandon Better scored 13 points to lead Southern Utah to a 63-54 victory over Northern Arizona on Saturday.
Southern Utah (10-13, 4-8 Big Sky Conference) has won two straight games, and five in a row against Northern Arizona (4-21, 1-11).
Better made two 3-pointers and 5 of 6 free throws. Jamal Aytes and James McGee added 12 points apiece, and Dwayne Morgan had 10 for the Thunderbirds.
Corey Brown scored 14 points for Northern Arizona, which shot 16 of 56 (28.6 percent) from the field. Brooks Debisschop had 11 rebounds and chipped in nine points.
Southern Utah had a one-point halftime lead, and opened the second half on a 10-2 surge. The Lumberjacks pulled to 44-42, and were down 56-50 with 2:22 to play. Aytes scored the next three points and the Thunderbirds had a 10-point lead with a minute left.
- No. 18 Arizona State looks to quell Washington State’s pass attack
- Midnight Madness: GCU students camp outside for basketball kickoff
- California’s Fair Pay to Play Act has Arizona sports figures divided
- California to let college athletes sign endorsement deals; Pac-12 responds
- Northern Arizona to honor 2019 Hall of Fame class