Diana Taurasi scores 25 points as Mercury beat Aces
PHOENIX (AP) — Diana Taurasi scored 25 points, Brittney Griner had 19 points, 15 rebounds and seven blocked shots and the Phoenix Mercury held off the Las Vegas Aces 72-66 on Sunday.
The Aces had a 10-1 run to close to 68-64 with about three minutes to go, but Griner had two blocked shots to give the Mercury (7-3) back-to-back defensive stops, and Taurasi hit a baseline 3-pointer to push the lead back to seven with 1:05 left.
DeWanna Bonner added 14 points and seven rebounds to help the Mercury win their fifth straight.
Phoenix had an 11-2 run to close the first half with 13-point lead and scored the opening basket of the third quarter to reach their largest lead at 52-37.
A’ja Wilson had 17 points for the Aces (1-7). Kayla McBride added 16, and Kelsey Plum had 12.
- Mercury deal January, acquire Breland and Coffey in 3-team trade
- Phoenix Mercury have the new big 3 to see, GM Pitman says
- Cardinals’ Keim, Mercury’s Pitman and more: Best of Newsmakers Week Day 5
- Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury agree to multi-year extension
- WNBA, players reach CBA deal that will boost average salary